Effective Communication Management: A Factor for Development of International Companies in Our Day
The purpose of communication management at company level is to create and exploit all the categories of company assets by building up the communication space in a way to achieve the company competitiveness. Therefore, the quality of communication management in companies has become an indicator of their ability to create an internal and external environment that will help them gain the necessary market advantages.
The article contains results of an analysis of the phenomenon of communication management and causes of disruptions of effective communications in international companies. A review of previous research shows that international companies operating in multicultural environments face communication barriers affecting the performance of international partners. But once built in a right manner, communication management enables to overcome such cross-cultural barriers. When the peculiarities of cross-cultural communications are accounted for, it will allow to predict the behavior of foreign partners and avoid mistakes in management of international organizations and projects. Two aspects have critical importance for the prevention or quick settlement of conflicts: (i) a cautious and balanced strategic policy of company management, the readiness to grasp the causes of conflicts and change policy schemes to achieve a reasonable compromise, flexibility and adaptability of an organizational structure; (ii) deep awareness of the cultural environments in which an organization operates, and of the cultural origins of its staff.
It is concluded that due consideration for the cultural diversity can strengthen mutual understanding between the partners in communication. It is shown that communication management has impact on the organizational communication climate, whereas the latter have implications for future performance of international companies. The organizational communication climate is a proxy of the relationship between communication management and prevention of conflicts.
2. Kondrashova N. G. (2020). Informatsiya i ee primenenie v hode upravleniya proektami [Information and its application during project management]. Dnevnik nauki – Diary of Science, 12(48), 50. Retrieved from http://dnevniknauki.ru/images/publications/2020/12/economy/Kondrashova.pdf [in Russian].
3. Myasoedov S. P., & Borisova L. G. (2015). Kross-kulturnyiy menedzhment: Kak vesti biznes s predstavitelyami drugih stran i kultur [Cross-cultural management: running business with representatives of other countries and cultures]. Moscow: Publishing house Yurait [ in Russian].
4. Acar A., & Acar P. (2014). Organizational Culture Types and Their Effects on Organizational Performance in Turkish Hospitals. EMAJ Emerg. Mark. J., 3, 18–31.
5. Bakas D., Kostis P., & Petrakis P. (2019). Culture and labour productivity: An empirical investigation. Econ. Model., 85, 233–243.
6. Communications Management. Retrieved from https://www.tutorialspoint.com/management_concepts/communications_management.htm
7. Contributions of Edward T. Hall. Retrieved from https://d22dvihj4pfop3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2019/02/13110946/ContributionsofEdwardT.HallforAFS_Friends.pdf
8. Different Effective Methods of Communication (Useful). Retrieved from https://www.educba.com/different-methods-of-communication/
9. Eklof M., & Ahlborg G., Jr. (2016). Improving communication among healthcare workers: A controlled study. J. Work. Learn., 28, 81–96.
10. Hofstede G., Hofstede, G. J., & Minkov M. (2005). Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. Rev. and exp. (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
11. Importance of Communication in an Organization. URL: https://managementstudyguide.com/importance-of-communication.htm
12. Weber J. L. (2020). Communication Management Techniques Every PM Should Know. ProjectManager, Junuary 6. Retrieved from https://www.projectmanager.com/blog/communication-management-techniques
13. Lantara A. N. F. (2019). The effect of the organizational communication climate and work enthusiasm on employee performance. Management Science Letters, 9, 1243–1256.
14. Samovar L. A., Porter R. E., & McDanie E. R. (2012). Intercultural Communication: A Reader. 13th ed. Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
15. Lee Y., & Kim J. (2021). Cultivating employee creativity through strategic internal communication: The role of leadership, symmetry, and feedback seeking behaviors. Public Relations Review, 47, 101998.
16. Neill M. S., Men L. R., & Yue C. A. (2019). How communication climate and organizational identification impact change. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 25, 281–298.
17. Nordin S. M., Sivapalan S., Bhattacharyya E., Ahmad H. H. W. F. W., & Abdullah A. (2014). Organizational Communication Climate and Conflict Management: Communications Management in an Oil and Gas Company. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 109, 1046–1058.
18. Shahrina Md Nordin, Ammar Redza Ahmad Rizal, Rafidah Abd Rashid, Rohayu Che Omar, & Unggul Priyadi (2021). Incidents and Disaster Avoidance: The Role of Communication Management and the Organizational Communication Climate in High-Risk Environments. Sustainability, 13(18), 10138.
19. Shohet I. M., Wei H.-H., Skibniewski M. J., Tak B., & Revivi M. (2019). Integrated Communication, Control, and Command of Construction Safety and Quality. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 145, 04019051.
Abstract views: 44 PDF Downloads: 33
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.