Ukraine in the Contemporary Integration Processes: Preconditions and Problems
Given that the economic and social recovery of Ukraine is largerly conditional on its integration in the international economic system and effective involvement in the international division of labor, the article’s objective is to analyze preconditions and problems specific to the Ukraine’s integration in the global economic area. Intergration-specific aspects and problems in operation of the transport infrastructure and mining industry of Ukraine, strong and weak sides of Ukraine on the global energy market, the potentials of Ukraine in the agrarian sector are highlighted. It is emphasized that a priority mechanism for increasing the share of Ukraine’s trade on the European agrarian market is Free Trade Zone with EU, but a factor constraining growth in the agricultural exports of Ukraine to EU is failure of the most part of domestic producers to comply with technical, sanitary etc. terms for exporters to EU. The analysis covers statistical data on foreign trade of Ukraine in goods and services in 2016–2018, the commodity structure of Ukraine’s foreign trade in 2018, key indicators of the international trade of Ukraine in 2016–2018. It, above all, shows the negative balance of the Ukrainian foreign trade, which tendency is upward. The tradability index for the Ukrainian economy fell in this period from 81.0% до 79.9%, giving evidence of the decreasing participation of Ukraine in the international division of labor. The essential factors underlying the negative balance of foreign trade in goods are highlighted; measures to reduce the negative balance of foreign trade are proposed. The data showing the progress in Ukraine’s implementation of Association Agreement with EU are summed up. It is concluded that in spite of a series of steps towards the openness of Ukraine for the global market, the processes involved in the formation of the national foreign economic relations mechanism have been contradictory and ineffective. It calls for optimization of regulatory forms for foreign economic relations and implementation of a mechanism complying with the current terms of international economic relations.
2. Mineralni resursy Ukrainy: shchorichnyk [Mineral resources of Ukraine: a yearbook]. Kyiv: “Heoinform”, 2018 [in Ukrainian].
3. Popov S. O., Babets E. K., Kolosov V. O., Rudko H. I. (2015). Stan i perspektyvy rozvytku zalizorudnoi promyslovosti Ukrainy [Iron ore industry of Ukraine: performance and perspectives]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats “Naukovo-doslidnoho hirnychorudnoho instytutu” DVNZ “Kryvorizkyi natsionalnyi universytet” – Collection of scientific works of “Research Mining Institute” at the State Higher Education Institution “Kryvyi Rih National University”, 55, 12–36 [in Ukrainian].
4. Patyka N. I. (2019). Napriamy ta perspektyvy intehratsii silskoho hospodarstva Ukrainy u svitovyi ahrarnyi rynok[Integration of the agricultural sector of Ukraine in the global agrarian market: directions and perspectives]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu – Scientific bulletin of Uzhhorod National University, 23, part 2, 53–60 [in Ukrainian].
5. Zvit pro vykonannia Uhody pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu ta Yevropeiskym Soiuzom u 2018 rotsi [Report on the implementation of Agreement between Ukraine and European Union in 2018]. Retrieved from https://eu-ua.org/sites/default/files/inline/files/association-agreement-implementation-report-2018.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
6. Zovnishnoekonomichna diialnist. Statystychna informatsiia Derzhavnoi sluzhby statystyky Ukrainy [Foreign economic activities. Statistical information of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine]. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua. [in Ukrainian].
7. Pikulyk O. I. (2018). Ukraina u svitovomu hospodarstvi [Ukraine in the global economy]. Ekonomika i suspilstvo – Economy and society, 15, 53–57 [in Ukrainian].
8. Derzhavna prohrama rozvytku transkordonnoho spivrobitnytstva na 2016–2020 roky, zatverdzhena postanovoiu Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 23.08.2016 r. No 554 [The State Program on the Development Trans-Border Cooperation for 2016–2020, approved by Directive of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from .08.2016 No 554]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/554-2016-p. [in Ukrainian].
9. Sushko K., Chernova O. (2017). Mistse Ukrainy u hlobalnykh ekonomichnykh reitynhakh [The position of Ukraine in global economic ratings]. Ekonomika i suspilstvo – Economy and society, 9, 110–114 [in Ukrainian].
10. Ukraina v mizhnarodnykh reitynhakh [Ukraine in global rankings]. Retrieved from https://www.sfii.gov.ua. [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 163 PDF Downloads: 96
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.