Book Publishing in the Context of Digital Economy: A Statistical Analysis
In the era of the digital economy, books should continue to be relevant to modern society, and book publishing needs to be a competitive industry in the market. Therefore, the statistical analysis of world book publishing is necessary to determine the landmark movement for domestic publishers supposed to find a solid niche in the digital economy.
Book publishing is an economic activity which effectiveness is measured by not only publication figures but by the level of education and consciousness of the nation, demonstrating its intellectual capacity to the whole world.
The article gives an example of a successful online Amazon business. The state of popularity of the e-book in France, Korea, and China is investigated. A statistical analysis of book publishing of Ukraine is presented. The dynamics of the increase of Internet subscribers in the territory of Ukraine was observed. The dynamics of the main indicators presented in the tables is simulated. The simulation results showed that the time dependence of the number of published books and brochures, as well as the total circulation of publications, is best described by the polynomial of the fourth degree, Internet subscribers – the polynomial of the third degree. Summarizing the analysis, it was concluded that the years 2014 and 2015, when indicators and number of publications and circulation have rapidly decreased, are critical for book printing, as well as for almost all spheres of life of Ukraine, the first – from 26323 thousand units. in 2013 to 19958 thousand units. in 2015, the circulation during this time decreased by almost one and a half times. Taking into account the number of the population of Ukraine as of 2017 (44.03 million people), the indicators of the book publishing industry can be argued that the index of bookkeeping of Ukraine by 2017 was 1.02 books per person.
2. Clark G., Phillips A. Inside Book Publishing. 5th edition. New-York: Routledge, 2014. 376 р.
3. February 2017 Big, Bad, Wide & International Report: covering Amazon, Apple, B&N, and Kobo e-book sales in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Author earnings. Retrieved from http://authorearnings.com/report/february-2017/.
4. Urusov P. Samsung E6 i E101: pervyye elektronnyye knigi koreyskoy kompanii [Samsung E6 and E101: first electronic books of the Korean company]. Retrieved from https://gagadget.com/ces/2767-samsung-e6-i-e101-pervyie-elektronnyie-knigi-korejskoj-kompanii/. [in Russian].
5. France shows its support for independent booksellers. Тhе Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/15/france-online-books-fixed-price-system
6. Wikipedia. Free Encyclopedia. Google Books. Retrieved from https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_%D0%9A%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B3%D0%B8 [in Russian].
7. Verba T. M. (2015). Izdatelskiy biznes iznutri. Ot rukopisi k bestselleru: poshagovoye rukovodstvo po podgotovke knigi k pechati. proizvodstvu i prodvizheniyu. Professionalnyye sovety ot izdatelstva delovoy literatury [Printing and publishing business from inside: From manuscript to bestseller: a step-by-step guidebook on preparation of a book for printing, production and promotion. Professional advice from a publisher of business literature]. Dnepropetrovsk: Balance Business Books, pp. 181–182 [in Russian].
8. Kontseptsiia rozvytku tsyfrovoi ekonomiky ta suspilstva Ukrainy na 2018–2020 roky: Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 17 sichnia 2018 r. No 67-r [The Guidelines for Development of Digital Economy and Society in Ukraine for 2018–2020: Directive of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from 17 Junuary 2018 No 67-r]. Retrieved from https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/npas/pro-shvalennya-koncepciyi-rozvitku-cifrovoyi-ekonomiki-ta-suspilstva-ukrayini-na-20182020-roki-ta-zatverdzhennya-planu-zahodiv-shodo-yiyi-realizaciyi. [in Ukrainian].
9. Afonin O. Ukrainskyi knyzhkovyi rynok – tse rynok piznoho serednovichchia Yevropy [The Ukrainian book market is a market of Europe in the late medieval era]. Retrieved from https://zik.ua/news/2018/04/23/oleksandr_afonin_ukrainskyy_knyzhkovyy_rynok__tse_rynok_piznogo_1310741. [in Ukrainian].
10. Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Abonenty zviazku v 2017 r. [The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Telephone subscribers in 2017]. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/. [in Ukrainian].
11. Knyzhkova palata Ukrainy im. I. Fedorova [The Book Chamber of Ukraine named after I. Fedorov]. Retrieved from http://www.ukrbook.net/vydav_dil.html [in Ukrainian].
12. Ukrainska asotsiatsiia vydavtsiv ta knyhorozpovsiudzhuvachiv. Reitynh ukrainskykh vydavnytstv [The Ukrainian Association of Book Distributors. The Rating of Ukrainian Publishers]. Retrieved from http://upba.org.ua/index.php/uk/podii/poddii-v-ukraini/item/63-reitynh-ukrainskykh-vydavnytstv.
13. Petrova N. (2016). Problemni pytannia statystychnoho obliku vitchyznianykh vydan [The problematic issues of statistical recording of domestic publications]. Visnyk Knyzhkovoi palaty – Bulletin of the Book Chamber, 8, 3–7 [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 122 PDF Downloads: 45
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.