The Agricultural Land Market in Ukraine: Current Conjuncture and Problems of Formation
The agricultural land market was launched in Ukraine on July 1, 2021. Before its opening in Ukraine, experts had attempted to outline various scenarios of its operation, but most part of the predictions proved to be far from reality. The inadequacy and unsoundness of these predictions raise the importance of studies devoted to the current conjecture of the agricultural land market in Ukraine.
The article contains results of a study of the processes involved in the formation of the agricultural land market in Ukraine and its current conjuncture. A review of the legal acts of Ukraine that streamlined the evolution of relations on this market was made: the Decree of the President of Ukraine “Urgent measures to accelerate reforms in the agrarian sector of the economy” (1999), the Land Code of Ukraine (2001), the Decree of the President of Ukraine “Supplementary measures on social protection of rural residents who are owners of land plots and land parts (shares)” (2002), the Law of Ukraine “Amendments to some legislative acts of Ukraine on terms of the turnover of agricultural lands” (2020). A comparison of the cost of land lease in Ukraine and EU countries in 2019, and the actual weighted average price of 1 hectare of agricultural land in Ukraine and some other countries was made. Domestic sources of information on the land market operation in Ukraine are given.
It is concluded that the land market in Ukraine is in the passive state now, with both demand and supply being slack. The factors behind the low demand and supply on the domestic land market were identified: the demand is constrained by a limited range of buyers and lack of uncostly mortgage loans for purchase of land; the supply is constrained by the low market price of 1 hectare of land, inability of the majority of residents to sell their shares in case of the valid leasing contract, bad legal and financial literacy of rural inhabitants. The efficiency of land leasing in Ukraine remains to be low due to irrational use of soils by land tenants. The need for government regulation of this market is shown.
2. Zemelnyi kodeks Ukrainy vid 25.10.2001 r. No 2768-III [Land Code of Ukraine from 25.10.2001 No 2768-III]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2768-14 [in Ukrainian].
3. Pro nevidkladni zakhody shchodo pryskorennia reformuvannia ahrarnoho sektoru ekonomiky: Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrainy vid 3.12.1999 r. No 1599/99 [Urgent measures to accelerate reforms in the agrarian sector of the economy: Decree of the President of Ukraine from 3.12.1999 No 1599/99]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1529/99 [in Ukrainian].
4. Zakirova S. (2020) Moratorii na prodazh zemli: podovzhyty ne mozhna skasuvaty? [The moratorium on the sale of land: to be continued or abrogated?]. Hromadska dumka pro pravotvorennia – Public Opinion on Law-Making, 3(188), 3–14 [in Ukrainian].
5. Pro dodatkovi zakhody shchodo sotsialnoho zakhystu selian-vlasnykiv zemelnykh dilianok ta zemelnykh chastok (paiv): Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrainy vid 2.02.2002 r. No 92/2002 [Supplementary measures on social protection of rural residents who are owners of land plots and land parts (shares): Decree of the President of Ukraine from 2.02.2002 No 92/2002]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/92/2002 [in Ukrainian].
6. Podatkovyi kodeks Ukrainy vid 2.12.2010 r. No 2755-VI [The Tax Code of Ukraine from 2.12.2010 No 2755-VI]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2755-17 [in Ukrainian].
7. U 2020 rotsi v Ukraini orendna plata za s/h zemli zrosla v serednomu na 6,5% [In 2020, the rent of land grew by 6,5% in average]. Ukrainskyi klub ahrarnoho biznesu – Ukrainian Club of Agrarian Business, May 25, 2021. Retrieved from https://ucab.ua/ua/pres_sluzhba/novosti/u_2020_rotsi_v_ukraini_orendna_plata_za_sg_zemli_zrosla_v_serednomu_na_65 [in Ukrainian].
8. Kolotilin O. Chy zaplatiat bilshe za orendu paiu z 1 lypnia [Will the rent on land share be higher since June, 1]. Ekonomichna pravda – Economic Bulletin, July 1, 2021. Retrieved from https://www.epravda.com.ua/columns/2021/07/1/675514 [in Ukrainian].
9. Bazylevych V. D. (Ed.) (2007). Ekonomichna teoriia: Politekonomiia [Economic theory: Political economy]. Kyiv: Znannia-Pres [in Ukrainian].
10. Sirko А. V. (2014). Ekonomichna teoriia: Politekonomiia [Economic theory: Political economy]. Kyiv: “Center of education literature” [in Ukrainian].
11. Sait Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy. Seredni stavky za depozytamy dlia fizychnykh osib v Ukraini [Website of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine. Average interest rates on deposits for physical persons in Ukraine]. Retrieved from https://index.minfin.com.ua/ua/banks/deposit/private/2020-12 [in Ukrainian].
12. Materialy saitu Birzhi silhospzemel [Information from the website of the Stock Exchange of Agricultural Lands]. Retrieved from https://zemelka.ua/uk/news/685 [in Ukrainian].
13. Korobska A. O. (2020) Derzhavne rehuliuvannia vykorystannia zemel silskohospodarskoho pryznachennia v Ukraini [Government regulation of the agricultural land use in Ukraine]. PhD thesis. Kamianets-Podilskyi [in Ukrainian].
14. V Ukraini stvoriat avtomatyzovanyi monitorynh zemelnykh vidnosyn [A computerized monitoring of land relations is going to be created in Ukraine]. AgroPolit.com, August 30, 2021. Retrieved from https://agropolit.com/news/21666-v-ukrayini-stvoryat-avtomatizovaniy-monitoring-zemelnih-vidnosin [in Ukrainian].
15. Hladuniak I. Zemlia maie hoduvaty vsiu Ukrainu, a ne lyshe oliharkhiv [The land has to feed all the Ukraine, but not only oligarchs]. Ridna Khersonshchyna, November 1, 2016. Retrieved from https://ks.ridna.ua/2016/11/01/zemlya-maje-hoduvaty-vsyu-ukrajinu-a-ne-lyshe-oliharhiv [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 29 PDF Downloads: 24
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.