Selection and Monitoring of Assignments in the Audit of Financial Reporting
Problems related to the quality assessment of completed audit assignments are analyzed. As the increasing number of users take management decisions on the basis of audit reports, independent audit is intended to guarantee a sound verification of financial reporting at company level, which can be achieved through the procedures for the assignment quality control.
The article’s objective is to develop methodical recommendations on quality assessment of individual auditing assignments for auditing firms.
An analytical review of the normative criteria for selection of assignments for monitoring is made, and the authors’ criteria based on the risk oriented approach to the assessment of assignments of the financial audit are proposed: (i) obligatory auditing, including the auditing of financial reporting of companies with public significance (50% of the total number of the assignments in obligatory audit); (ii) voluntary audit (at least one assignment of the key partner), with the review of financial reporting covering 10% of the total number of the review assignments; other assignments covering 10% or more of the total number of the assignments on providing reassurance, which is not audit or review; selection of the most risky assignments with high level of the implicit risk; related services covering 10% of the total number of assignments pertaining to related services on agreed procedures and compilation of information (with selecting most complicated issues of business operation, which were subject to concern in providing related services and assignments for a new customer). A four-phase model of the assessment of selected assignments of an auditing firm is elaborated: acceptance of customer and assignment; planning and assessment of risks; assignment completion; formulation of auditor opinion and control actions on quality assurance. The practical implementation of this model involves documenting of the internal control of the quality of audit, analysis of results of the quality control, accumulation of errors and correcting actions at system and assignment level.
2. (2019). Metodychni materialy, poviazani z provedenniam perevirok z kontroliu yakosti audytorskykh posluh [Guidance material on the implementation of revisions on quality control of audit services]. Sait Derzhavnoi ustanovy “Orhan suspilnoho nahliadu za audytorskoiu diialnistiu” [The website of the public institution “The Agency for Public Surveillance of Auditing Activities”]. Retrieved from http://www.apob.org.ua/?p=1476 [in Ukrainian].
3. Bychkova S. M., and Itygilova E. Yu. (2008). Kontol kachestva audita [Audit quality control]. Moscow: Eksmo [in Russian].
4. Bondar V. P., and Bondar Yu. V. Yakist v audyti ta de – yaki aspekty upravliannia yakistiu [The quality of audit: aspects of quality management]. Retrieved from http://pbo.ztu.edu.ua/article/view/54270 [in Ukrainian].
5. Vasilyuk M. M. (2018). Yakist posluh audytu u suchasnomu biznes-seredovyshchi: umovy zabezpechennia ta vplyv na suspilnu diialnist [The quality of audit services in the modern business environment: the terms of assurance and the impact on public activities]. Visnyk Prykarpatskoho universytetu. Seriia “Ekonomika – Bulletin of Precarpathian University. Series “Economics”, 13, 221–226 [in Ukrainian].
6. Proskurina N. M., and Kovalenko V. P. (2010). Yakist audytorskykh posluh v Ukraini: realii ta perspektyvy [The quality of audit services in Ukraine: realities and perspectives]. Economic chasopys – XXI – Economic Journal – XXI, 9–10, 53–57 [in Ukrianian].
7. Razborska O. O., and Moshura L. O. (2017). Vnutrishnii audyt otsinky yakosti pryiniattia upravlinskykh rishen: poniattia, pryznachennia ta rol v systemi upravlinnia pidpryiemstvom [Internal audit of the assessment of the quality of acceptance of management decisions: the understanding, the purpose, and the role in the business management system]. Financy, oblik, banky – Finance, Accounting, Banks, 1(22), 146–153 [in Ukrainian].
8. Pro zapobihannia ta protydiiu lehalizatsii (vidmyvanniu) dokhodiv, oderzhanykh zlochynnym shliakhom, finansuvanniu teroryzmu ta finansuvanniu rozpovsiudzhennia zbroi masovoho znyshchennia [Preventing and combatting the legalization (laundering) of incomes gained by illicit ways, financing of terrorism and financing of proliferation of mass destruction weapons]: The Law of Ukraine from 06.12.2019 No 361-IX. Database “Legislation of Ukraine”. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/361-20 [in Ukrainian].
9. Pro audyt finansovoi zvitnosti ta audytorsku diialnist [Audit of financial reporting and auditing activities: The Law of Ukraine from December 21, 2017, No 2258-VIII]. Database “Legislation of Ukraine”. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2258-19 [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 2 PDF Downloads: 2
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.