Assessment of the State of Competition in Ukraine by the Results of a Survey of Domestic Enterprises
Formation and implementation of the state competition policy requires a clear understanding of the current state of the competitive environment, and the effectiveness of previous measures taken by the government.
The article studies the state of the competitive environment in Ukraine based on the results of a survey of business executives, conducted annually by the Centre of Complex Research in Antimonopoly Policy. Responses of the executives allow assessing the degree of competition in the business environment. The survey finds that in Ukraine domestic competition is more important than competition from foreign companies.
Although significant and moderate competition from domestic and foreign firms was felt by 73.5% and 35.3% of respondents, respectively, only 25.6% and 15.1% noted that competition resulted in lower prices and costs. Therefore, nowadays the most acute problem is not so much the presence of competition in domestic markets, but the effectiveness of competition policy.
The survey conducted a research of respondents' assessment of the level of dominance in the region using the method of the World Economic Forum.
A quarter of respondents said in 2019 that competition policy in their region was partially effective and stimulated competition in individual market segments.
The results of the study showed an improvement in the enterprises' evaluation of the effectiveness of the state competition policy, which includes, first of all, the activities of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
The analysis can be used in the development of competition policy documents.
2. Richnyi zvit Antymonopol'noho komitetu Ukrainy za 2018 rik [The annual report of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine for 2018]. Kyiv: Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine, 2019 [in Ukrainian].
3. The Global Competitiveness Report (2019). Retrieved from: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_TheGlobalCompetitivenessReport2019.pdf (date of access: 26.12.2019).
4. Reducing Market Distortions for a More Prosperous Ukraine: Proposals for Market Regulation, Competition Policy, and Institutional Reform. World Bank Group. Retrieved from: http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/368301553112891891/pdf/135463-WP-P169603-PUBLIC.pdf (date of access: 26.12.2019).
5. Dilova dumka: promyslovist. Instytut ekonomichnykh doslidzhen ta politychnykh konsultatsii [Business opinion: industry. The Institute for Economic Studies and Political Consultations]. Retrieved from: http://www.ier.com.ua/ua/publications/regular_products/business_idea_industry (date of access: 26.12.2019) [in Ukrainian].
6. Bugaienko N. M. (2018). Tendentsii zmin stanu natsionalnoho konkurentnoho seredovyshcha [Trends in the change of the national competitive environment]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu – Scientific Bulletin of Uzhgorod National University, 17, 24–28 [in Ukrainian].
7. Kuziakiv O. & Gulik A. (2019). Quarterly Enterprise Survey, 2 (68). Retrieved from: http://www.ier.com.ua/files//Regular_products/BTS/Industry/QES_ukr_01_2019-FINAL.pdf [in Ukrainian].
8. Yerina A. M. (2010). Statystyka [Statistics]. Kyiv: Kyiv National Economic University [in Ukrainian].
9. Karakulova I. S., Opanasenko L. O. & Potapova M. Y. (2019). Doslidzhennia tendentsij zmin stanu konkurentnoho seredovyscha v ekonomitsi Ukrainy u 2018 rotsi: zvit pro naukovo-doslidnu robotu [A study on the tendency of change in the competitive environment in the Ukrainian economy in 2018: report on research work]. Kyiv: Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 223 PDF Downloads: 127
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.