Analysis of the State and Trends of Ukraine’s Foreign Trade with the EU
Presently, Ukraine is highly integrated into the global economic area and maintains foreign trade relations with more than 200 countries. The European Union (EU) is one of the most important foreign trade partners of Ukraine.
Therefore, the analysis of Ukraine’s foreign trade is important for taking effective management decisions and promoting reasonable changes in the economic policy.
The article analyzes the state and trends of Ukraine’s foreign trade with the EU. Its features and dynamics are revealed. The changes in the structure of exports and imports of Ukraine after the signing of the Free Trade Agreement are as follows: export values reaching the pre-crisis level of 2014; the sustained dominance of agricultural and food industry products; the commodity structure of exports could be diversified; imports of goods to Ukraine from the EU in 2012–2017 decreased at a slower pace than the total imports of goods to Ukraine; after a negative trend in 2012–2015, the imports increased by 3658.5 million USD in 2017, signaling that the imports to Ukraine from the EU were recovering at a faster pace than the Ukrainian exports to the EU; the balance of foreign trade in goods between Ukraine and the EU for the period of the study was negative.
Measures to improve the development of foreign trade of Ukraine in the context of deepening European integration processes are proposed: to increase the support for national producers; to intensify export cooperation with the EU member states with which Ukraine has a negative balance; to attract exporters from non-EU countries to locate production facilities on the territory of Ukraine with the prospects of their exports to European markets; to introduce uniform standards of certification and standardization of products in Ukraine; to develop a strategy to increase exports of nationally produced goods and services to EU markets and reduce imports to Ukraine; to intensify cooperation with the EU on issues of import substitution in Ukraine.
2. Zaitsev V. Ye., Maliuta I. A., Trunova A. D. Zovnishnotophovelna diialnist Ukpainy z YeS v kpyzovyi ta postkpyzovyi pepiody [The foreign economic activities of Ukraine with EU in the crisis and post-crisis period]. Retrieved from http://dspace.nbuv.gov.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/92138/22-Zaitsev.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
3. Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Zovnishnia torhivlia Ukrainy tovaramy z krainamy YeS [The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Foreign trade of Ukraine in goods with EU countries]. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua. [in Ukrainian].
4. Kasych A. O., Tsokalo A. O. (2015). Stan ta perspektyvy torhovelnykh vidnosyn Ukrainy z krainamy Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu [The performance and prospects of the trade relations of Ukraine with the countries of the European Union]. Naukovyi visnyk Khersonskoho derzhavnoho universytetu. Seriia: Ekonomichni nauky – Scientific Bulletin of Kherson National University. Series: Economics, 13(3), 23–27 [in Ukrainian].
5. Movchan V. Eksport sprostovuie mify: shcho pokazala tophivlia Ukpainy z YeS u 2017 potsi [Myths denied by the exports: indicators of the Ukraine’s trade with EU in 2017]. Retrieved from https://bin.ua/top/217883-eksport-sprostovuye-mifi-shho-pokazala-torgivlya.html. [in Ukrainian].
6. Spivrobitnytstvo mizh Ukrainoiu ta krainamy YeS u 2017 rotsi: Statystychnyi zbirnyk [The cooperation between Ukraine and EU countries in 2017. Statistical book]. Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine, 2018 [in Ukrainian].
7. Shcherbyna S. V. (2012). Rozvytok zovnishnotorhovelnykh perspektyv ahropromyslovoho kompleksu Ukrainy v konteksti yevrointehratsii [The development of foreign trade prospects in the agro-industrial complex of Ukraine in the Eurointegration context]. Derzhavne upravlinnia: teoriia i praktyka – Public administration: theory and practice, 1, 1–9 [in Ukrainian].
8. Iarosh-Dmytrenko L. O. Zovnishnotorhovelni vidnosyny Ukrainy z krainamy Yevrosoiuzu u konteksti intehratsii do yevropeiskoho ekonomichnoho prostoru [The foreign trade relations of Ukraine with EU countries in the context of Eurointegration to the European economic area]. Retrieved from http://vestnik-econom.mgu.od.ua/journal/2017/25-1-2017/12.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 10 PDF Downloads: 4