Improving the Definition of the Notion “Goods” for Accounting Purposes of Trade Enterprises
Trade as a type of activity is carried out by the majority of enterprises, both in Ukraine and abroad. Trade in Ukraine was rapidly growing in 2012–2017, with re-orienting to EU markets, which modifies the requirements to goods, approaches to their management and accounting. This raises the importance of theoretical studies associated with interpretation of the notion “goods”. The article aims to propose an optimized definition of “goods” for accounting purposes of trade enterprises by making a review of the existing approaches to this category definition, found in theoretical studies and normative documents.
A review of theoretical and normative sources shows the lack of agreement in the interpretation of “goods” that tend to be addressed by researchers from broader (economic) and narrower (accounting) perspective. The definition of “goods” for accounting purposes of trade enterprises is, therefore, optimized by summing up theoretical definitions of “goods” and interpretations of the notions “sales”, “distribution”, “exchange”, and “profit”. It is justified that to be recognized as a good, an asset must be reliably measured. It is also proposed to use a more comprehensive notion “exchange” in place of “sales” or “distribution”, and “obtain an economic benefit” in place of “obtain a profit”. The resulting definition of “goods” is: “Assets (excluding money), which value is reliably defined, which are supposed to be used for further exchange in order to obtain an economic benefit, and which main purpose is to meet consumer demand”.
2. Polianska O. A., Chabaniuk O. M., Kalnina H. O. (2017). Oblik ta opodatkuvannia tovariv: stan ta perspektyvy rozvytku [The accounting and taxation of goods: performance and development prospects]. Ekonomika ta suspilstvo – Economy and society, 12, 1428–1434 [in Ukrainian].
3. Ilchenko N. B. (2017). Upravlinnia biznes-protsesamy na pidpryiemstvi optovoi torhivli [Management of business processes at a wholesale trade enterprise]. Doctor’s thesis. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
4. Ukraina v tsyfrakh u 2017 rotsi [Ukraine in figure in 2017]. Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine, 2018 [in Ukrainian].
5. Chernin O. Ya. (2017). Bukhhalterskyi oblik i kontrol tovariv pidpryiemstva [The accounting and control of goods at an enterprise]. Extended abstract of Candidate’s thesis. Zhytomyr [in Ukrainian].
6. Honcharov S. M., Kushnir N. B. (2009). Tlumachnyi slovnyk ekonomista [The modern glossary of economist]. S. M. Honcharov (ed.). Kyiv: Center of education literature [in Ukrainian].
7. Osovska H. V., Yushkevych O. O., Zavadskyi Y. S. (2009). Ekonomichnyi slovnyk [The economic glossary]. Kyiv: Kondor [in Ukrainian].
8. Zahorodnii A. H., Vozniuk H. L. (2011). Finansovo-ekonomichnyi slovnyk [The financial and economic glossary]. 3rd ed., suppl. and rev. Lviv: Lviv Politekhnic Publisher [in Ukrainian].
9. Bazylevych V. D. (2008). Ekonomichna teoriia: Politekonomiia [The economic theory: political economy]. 7th ed. Kyiv: Znannia-Pres [in Ukrainian].
10. Butynets F. F. et al. (2009). Bukhhalterskyi finansovyi oblik [Accounting and financial accounting]. F. F. Butynets (ed.). 8th ed., suppl. And revised. Zhytomyr: “Ruta” [inUkrainian].
11. Khomiak R. L. (2008). Bukhhalterskyi oblik ta opodatkuvannia [The accounting and taxation]. R. L. Khomiak, V. I. Lemishovskiy (eds.). Lviv: Accounting center “Azhur” [in Ukrainian].
12. Mochernyi V. I. (2003). Osnovy ekonomichnoi teorii [The basics of the economic theory]. V. I. Mochernyi (ed.). Kyiv: Znannia [in Ukrainian].
13. Azriliyan A. N. Bolshoy bukhhalterskiy slovar [The large glossary of accounting]. Institute of New Economy. Retrieved from https://www.booksite.ru/localtxt/bol/sho/buh/gal/ter/ski/slo/var/index.htm. [in Russian].
14. Panteleiev V. P., Snizhko O. S. (2009). Slovnyk bukhhaltera ta audytora [The glossary of accountant and auditor]. State Statistics Committee of Ukraine; State Academy of Statistics, Accounting and Audit. Kyiv: “Inform.-analit. agency” [in Ukrainian].
15. Shendryhorenko M. T. (2017). Tovary yak obiekt obliku ta vnutrishnoho audytu na pidpryiemstvi [Goods as an object of accounting and internal audit at an enterprise]. Ekonomika ta suspilstvo – Economy and society, 12, 722–726. Retrieved from www.economyandsociety.in.ua
16. Podatkovyi kodeks Ukrainy vid 02.12 2010 № 2755-VI [Tax Code of Ukraine from 02.12 2010 No 2755-VI]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2755-17 [in Ukrainian].
17. Mytnyi kodeks Ukrainy vid 13.03.2012 № 4495-VI [Customs Code of Ukraine from 13.03.2012 No 4495- VI]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/4495-17 [in Ukrainian].
18. Polozhennia (standart) bukhhalterskoho obliku 9 “Zapasy” № 246 vid 20.10.1999 r. [Provision (Standard) of Accounting 9 “Stocks” No 246 from 20.10.1999]. Retrieved from https://dtkt.com.ua/show/2bid17066.html [in Ukrainian].
19. Korol N.P. (2016). Tlumachnyi slovnyk bukhhalterskykh ta sumizhnykh terminiv dlia studentiv napriamu 6.030509 oblik i audyt ta spetsialnosti 8.03050901 – oblik i audyt (071 – oblik i opodatkuvannia) [The glossary of accounting and related terms for students of the education field 6.030509 – accounting and audit and the specialty 8.03050901 – accounting and audit (071 – accounting and taxation]. Dnipropetrovsk: National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
20. Voronova L. K. (2011). Slovnyk finansovo-pravovykh terminiv [The glossary of financial-legal terms]. L. K. Voronova (ed.). 2nd ed., rev. and suppl. Kyiv: Alerta [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 46 PDF Downloads: 36