The Procedure for Correcting Errors of Previous Periods in Financial Reporting According to IFRS
The subject of the study is represented by errors which were made in financial statements of prior periods and order of adjusting them according to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). The objective of the research was set to study out the materiality of errors made in financial statements of prior periods, determination of classification and order of adjusting the errors in accordance with IFRS. Different methods were used for achieving set up goals: induction and deduction, analysis, synthesis, causal relationships, abstractly logical, comparison, studying monographs and other generally accepted methods. According to IFRS errors might be made while recognizing, measuring, submitting and disclosing information about elements of financial statements. IFRS 8 divides such errors to errors of current period and prior reporting periods. Errors of prior reporting periods may influence or not influence the amount of undivided profit, material or not material, also intentional or not intentional. IFRS/IAS do not set up any recommendations about quantity or quality criteria or characteristics of materiality of errors. Every business entity preparing financial reports sets up materiality of errors based on their own criteria of materiality of errors. According to IRFS 8 paragraph 42 business entities adjust material mistakes of the prior period retrospectively in the first set of financial statements confirmed before its disclosing after their revealing. There are two ways to adjust these kind of errors: by transferring comparable sums for prior period (periods) presented when the mistake was made. Also by transferring the residue of assets, liabilities and equity in the beginning of the period for the earliest of the prior period presented, if the errors were made before the earliest of the prior period presented. Information about errors of prior period must be disclosed. Practical use of the research consists in bringing its main ideas to life through methodical innovations and recommendations which may be applied while adjusting errors, by business entities preparing financial statements according to IFRS.
2. The Conceptual Framework for Financial Reporting. Retrieved from http://eifrs.ifrs.org/eifrs/bnstandards/en/2016/conceptualframework.pdf
3. Pro suttyevist u buhalterskomu obliku i zvitnosti. Lyst Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 29.07.2003 No 04230- 04108 [The materiality in accounting and reporting. The letter of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine from 29.07.2003 No 04230- 04108]. Retrieved from http://law.dt-kt.com/lyst-ministerstva-finansiv-ukrayiny/ [in Ukrainian].
4. Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo oblikovoi polityky pidpryemstva. Zatv. nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 27.06.2013 No 635 [Methodical recommendations on the accounting policy of an enterprise. Approved by the Directive of Ministry of Finance of Ukraine from 27.06.2013 No 635]. Retrieved from http://184.108.40.206/minfin/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=382876&cat_id [in Ukrainian].
5. Kharlamova O. (2014). Suttevist u P(S)BO ta MSFZ: vid teorii do praktyky [The materiality in National Accounting Provisions (Standards) and IFRS: from theory to practice. Vse pro buhalterskyi oblik – Everything about accounting, 18, 9–21 [in Ukrainian].
6. Kodeks Ukrainy pro administratyvni pravoporushennia. Zatv. postanovoiu VR URSR No 8074-10 vid 07.12.1984 (zi zminamy ta dopovnenniamy) [The Code of Ukraine on Administrative Offence. Approved by the Directive of Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic No 8074-10 from 07.12.1984 (with amendments and additions)]. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/80731-10 [in Ukrainian].
7. Karpova V. (2016). Vypravlennia pomylok u buhalterskomu obliku: osnovy procedury [Corrections of errors in accounting: main procedures]. Buhalter & Zakon – Accountant & Law, 36(441). Retrieved from http://bz.ligazakon.ua/ua/magazine_article/BZ009332 [in Ukrainian].
8. Mizhnarodni standarty kontroliu yakosti, audytu, ogliadu, inshoho nadannia vpevnenosti ta suputnih posluh: chastyna 1 [International Standards on Quality Control, Auditing, Review, Other Assurance, and Related Services: Part 1]. Kyiv: International Federation of Accountants; Auditor Chamber of Ukraine, 2015 [in Ukrainian].
9. Polozhennya (standart) buhalterskoho obliku 6 “Vypravlennia pomylok i zminy u finansovyh zvitax”. Zatv. nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 28.05.1999 No 137 (zi zminamy ta dopovnenniamy) [Accounting Provision (Standard) 6 “Correction of errors and changes in financial reports. Approved by the Directive of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine from 28.05.1999 No 137 (with amendments and additions)]. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0392-99 [in Ukrainian].
10. Metodychni rekomendatsii po zastosuvanniu rehistriv buhalterskoho obliku. Zatv. nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 29.12.2000 No 356 (zi zminamy ta dopovnenniamy) [Methodical Recommendations on Use of Accounting Registers. Approved by the Directive of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine from 29.12.2000 No 356 (with amendments and additions)]. Retrieved from http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/MF00062.html [in Ukrainian].
11. Polozhennia pro dokumentalne zabezpechennia zapysiv u buhalterskomu obliku. Zatv. nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 24.05.1995 No 88 (zi zminamy ta dopovnennyamy) [The Provision on Documenting Records in Accounting. Approved by the Directive of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine from 24.05.1995 No 88 (with amendments and additions)]. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0168-95 [in Ukrainian].
12. Natsionalne polozhennya (standart) buhalterskoho obliku 1 “Zagalni vymohy do finansovoi zvitnosti”. Zatv. nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 07.02.2013 No 73 (zi zminamy ta dopovnenniamy) [The National Accounting Provision (Standard) 1 “General Requirements to Financing Statements. Approved by the Directive of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine from 07.02.2013 No 73 (with amendments and additions)]. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0336-13 [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 39 PDF Downloads: 65
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.