The Principle of Materiality and Its Practical Implementation in the Integrated Reporting of Corporate Enterprises
The materiality principle of materiality is central to the integrated reporting system of corporate enterprises, because, international practices confirm that to be informative, reports have to contain essential information defined by stakeholders and by company itself for taking effective management decisions. Yet, the materiality principle is not subject of much concern by the Ukrainian corporate sector when preparing, compiling, submitting and publishing integrated report. This raises the importance of studies on this principle implementation in integrated reports of Ukrainian corporate enterprises.
The objective of the study is to analyze implementation of the materiality principle in integrated reports of Ukrainian corporate enterprises by addressing the problems: (i) to give the characteristics of the materiality principle for financial reporting purposes; (ii) to show objects and materiality thresholds for individual forms of financial reporting; (iii) to describe the procedure of determining the materiality for integrated reporting purposes; (iv) to analyze the materiality aspects of integrated reports made by Ukrainian corporate enterprises; (v) to offer recommendations on implementing the materiality principle in integrated reporting of Ukrainian companies in keeping with international principles of integrated reporting.
Practical use of the materiality principle in integrated reporting of Ukrainian corporate enterprises is illustrated by the sample of three companies: “NAKNAFTOGAS of Ukraine”, “DTEK”, and “BDO” Ltd.
Recommendations for Ukrainian corporate enterprises on practical use of the materiality principle in integrated reporting are (i) to include the materiality principle in the main part of integrated reporting, with its description in the element “main principles of preparation and presentation”, which has been missing by far in integrated reporting of Ukrainian corporate enterprises; (ii) to use this principle for describing integrated reporting elements specified in the International Guidelines of Integrated Reporting: review of organization and external environment, management, business model, risk management, resource allocation strategy, operative results, future perspectives etc.
2. Directive 2013/34/EU of the European Parliament and the Council of 26 June 2013 on the annual financial statements, consolidated financial statements and related reports of certain types of undertakings, amending Directive 2006/43/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and repealing Council Directives 78/660/EEC and 83/349/EEC. Retrieved from http://www.oroc.pt/fotos/editor2/diretivacont.pdf.
3.The Conceptual Framework for Financial Reporting. Retrieved from http://eifrs.ifrs.org/eifrs/bnstandards/en/2018/conceptualframework.pdf.
4. International accounting standard 1 “Presentation of Financial Statements”. Retrieved from http://goo.gl/miFx5V.
5. International accounting standard 8 “Accounting Policies, Changes in Accounting Estimates and Errors”. Retrieved from http://eifrs.ifrs.org/eifrs/bnstandards/en/IAS8.pdf.
6. International accounting standard 34“Interim Financial Reporting”. Retrieved from http://eifrs.ifrs.org/eifrs/bnstandards/en/IAS34.pdf.
7. Natsionalne polozhennia (standart) bukhhalterskoho obliku 1 “Zahalni vymohy do finansovoi zvitnosti”, zatverdzheno nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 07.02.2013 r. No 73 [National standard for accounting “General requirements to financial reporting”, approved by the decree of the Ministry of Finance o Ukraine from 07.02.2013 r. No 73]. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0336-13. [in Ukrainian].
8. Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo oblikovoi polityky pidpryiemstva, zatverdzheni nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 27.06.2013 r. No 635 [Methodical recommendations on the accounting policy of enterprise, approved by the decree of the Ministry of Finance o Ukraine from 27.06.2013 No 635]. Retrieved from http://126.96.36.199/minfin/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=382876&cat_id. [in Ukrainian].
9. Lyst Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy “Pro suttievist u bukhhalterskomu obliku i zvitnosti” vid 29.07.2003 r. No 04230-04108 [The letter of the Ministry of Financial of Ukraine “The materiality in accounting and reporting” from 29.07.2003 No 04230-04108]. Retrieved from http://law.dt-kt.com/lyst-ministerstva-finansiv-ukrayiny. [in Ukrainian].
10. Kovach S. I. (2014). Kontseptsiia suttievosti v obliku i zvitnosti [The conception of materiality in accounting and reporting]. Biznes Inform – Business Inform, 6, 284–288 [in Ukrainian].
11. Rukovodstvo po otchetnosti v oblasti ustoichyvoho razvitia G4 [Guidelines in the field of sustainable development]. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRl4OkpOLZAhXkYpoKHboBB-0QFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.globalreporting.org%2Fresourcelibrary%2FRussian-G4-Part-One.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0SfWbfOfYHB4lANlxi3hgm. [in Russian].
12. Malynovskaia N. V. (2017). Opredelenyia sushchestvennosty dlia tselei integrirovannoi otchetnosti [Definitions of materiality for purposes of integrated reporting]. Audytorskye vedomosty – Audit journal, 8, 42– 50 [in Russian].
13. Pershi parostky: richnyi zvit za 2016 rik NAK “NAFTOHAZ Ukraina” [The first offspring: the annual report for 2016 of NAK “NAFTOHAZ Ukraina”]. Retrieved from http://www.naftogaz.com/files/Zvity/Anual_report_ukr_170608.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
14. Intehrovanyi zvit 2015 “Finansovi ta nefinansovi rezultaty” [Integrated report 2015 “Financial and non-financial results ]. Retrieved from https://dtek.com/content/files/godovie_otchety_ukr/dtek_report_ukr_2015_preview.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
15. BDO Ukraine Integrated Report 2016. Retrieved fromhttps://www.bdo.ua/getattachment/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE-%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE-BDO-%D0%B2-%D0%A3%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%96%D0%BD%D1%96/%D0%A0%D1%96%D1%87%D0%BD%D1%96-%D0%B7%D0%B2%D1%96%D1%82%D0%B8-BDO/BDO_report_2017_web.pdf.aspx?lang=uk-UA.
16. Pokazateli GRI 2016 [Indicators GRI 2016]. Retrieved fromhttps://www.bdo.ua/getattachment/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE-%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE-BDO-%D0%B2-%D0%A3%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%96%D0%BD%D1%96/%D0%A0%D1%96%D1%87%D0%BD%D1%96-%D0%B7%D0%B2%D1%96%D1%82%D0%B8-BDO/BDO_report_2016_tables-for-web.pdf.aspx?lang=uk-UA.[inRussian].
Abstract views: 140 PDF Downloads: 56